After work yesterday I decided to take my bike down Lake Shore Pathway to get a quick a look at the happenings before "history was made". It was the perfect night, weather wise, with a subtle breeze and the temperature settling around 60 degrees. I have to admit that I was surprised as I crossed the Chicago River how calm the pathway was. Except for myself, the Chicago Police and a couple runners the pathway was clear and the skyline was beautiful. In this photo you can see that a building has turned it's lights on to spell out USA...I know that sounds completely cheesy, but….I don't know…seeing the various banners of America made me feel pride for what was to happen.
That night the celebration in Chicago was great! As I walked home from the bar where I watched the rally, the feeling in the street was uplifting. It did not matter if you were left/right, hipster/yuppie, black/white/Latino/Asian--everyone was smiling and looking each other in the eye. I know that everyone who took to the streets did not agree on all the issues, but there was a that a big change is about to happen to American…and I can only hope that it is enveloped by the feelings of togetherness that was felt last night in the streets of Chicago.
On a side note my mother called several times to tell me NOT to go downtown and somehow on the last call my line got crossed and so she ended up talking to some random man. On ending the conversation her conclusion was not that she had called the wrong number, but rather that I had been abducted and my phone had been stolen. I received several phone calls from various people saying that they had been targeted by my mother who sounded very upset and maybe I should consider calling her. When I finally got a hold of her she sounded as if she was about to break down in tears. (My conclusion) Apparently the excitement was not distinctive to just Chicago land.
That night the celebration in Chicago was great! As I walked home from the bar where I watched the rally, the feeling in the street was uplifting. It did not matter if you were left/right, hipster/yuppie, black/white/Latino/Asian--everyone was smiling and looking each other in the eye. I know that everyone who took to the streets did not agree on all the issues, but there was a that a big change is about to happen to American…and I can only hope that it is enveloped by the feelings of togetherness that was felt last night in the streets of Chicago.
On a side note my mother called several times to tell me NOT to go downtown and somehow on the last call my line got crossed and so she ended up talking to some random man. On ending the conversation her conclusion was not that she had called the wrong number, but rather that I had been abducted and my phone had been stolen. I received several phone calls from various people saying that they had been targeted by my mother who sounded very upset and maybe I should consider calling her. When I finally got a hold of her she sounded as if she was about to break down in tears. (My conclusion) Apparently the excitement was not distinctive to just Chicago land.
1 comment:
hee hee! I love your story about your mom. I am very jealous that you got to experience that awesome atmosphere in Chicago last night. I'll post some of my pics from when Mary and I went to the Obama rally in Springfield.
Post a Comment