Tuesday, March 17, 2009








The Wall has been conquered!
So much has happened since I last posted. On Sunday, I am sure to the horror of my parents, I rented a bicycle and biked Beijing. This might sound like a pretty risky adventure to do, but Beijing is much more cycle friendly then Chicago and I did that for three years....and besides, I just had to. If you have not been to Beijing the best way of describing the layout of the streets is to compare it to Austin, where there is an inner and an outer road. The only difference is that the outer road is for bikes and pedestrians. On the day that I rented my bike I went to all the Olympic venues and then tried to get to the Summer Palace, but got lost. I ended up biking about ten hours and so even today I am having trouble sitting (SO NO WORRIES MOM--I PROBABLY WON'T RENT ANOTHER ONE).
It was fun to see all the architecture for the Olympics, and there was a WOW factor--but I do have a few concerns. It has only been 6 months since the Olympics and already The Nest (the crazy looking stadium) looks pretty horrible. The metal coating of the structural steel is rusting and the whole thing is covered and a yellow film (which is basically yellow sand from Mongolia). So from a functional standpoint the building is horrible. Also, much of the area is pretty bare. I was there on a Sunday and except for around the Stadium the rest of the park was pretty empty. It is a shame the countries spend so much money to get the Olympics and then these great spaces that are created are left to rot. (I remember thinking the same thing when I was in Athens)
Yesterday, Monday, I went to the Forbidden City with a Chinese girl that is sharing my room at the hostel. It was beautiful and big. The only picture I want to show you of the visit is the top photo I posted, which is of a kid wearing the crotchless pants I mentioned in an earlier blog. What do you think MF or JWhite...do you want me to pick you up a few pairs?
Today, I left at 6:15 and headed to the Great Wall. I hiked 10k of the wall and let me tell you...I am sooooo tired. I really cannot fathom building it and then I can't imagine using the wall for transportation of goods. I was winded walking from one tower to another. In one of the photos I posted, you will see a woman seated on the wall...this is one of the locals that is there selling souvenirs. Basically when you start hiking a crowd of locals begins to follow you. They pair off (one to every tourist) and will hike with you until you buy something...so that means they may hike the whole 10k. I explained to my local very early on, her name was Jung-ping (I am sure the spelling is wrong, but I spelled it phonetically) that I only brought 5 yuan, which I needed to purchase the ticket to cross the cabled bridge and she left me alone.
Tonight I plan to go to bed early and I have no idea what I am doing tomorrow. Miss you all and send my love. Oh and Zarah Happy Birthday!!!!



5 comments:

lafa said...

How cool are you?! Loved it and so glad that you are having a good time.

lafa said...

Also, I think those pants are fab. I don't know why MF/HH are not jumping all over them.

Mom L said...

Good work on allowing us to travel with you vicariously! What an adventure!

Mom L said...

As the grandmother of MF's baby-in-the-warmer, I vote "NO" on the pants :-)

Jennifer said...

I'll pass on the crotchless pants, but thanks for thinking of us!