Friday, March 27, 2009




Ha Long Bay Trip




I have returned from Ha Long Bay where I kayaked, walked through caves, and went hiking on Cat Ba Island.......and it was beautiful. In the bottom picture you see in image of the type of boat I spent my first night on. This boat took me to an island where I picked up a Kayak and was able to paddle around several of the islands. On one of the islands the guide took us through a cave, which was pretty interesting. That night we slept on the boat and the next day we were dropped off on Cat Ba Island. There I hiked in Cat Ba National Park, which was pretty tough because everything was covered in mud and water. I fell twice and was passed by several locals running up the stupid hill (talk about a blow to the ego).
After hiking the group was taken to the hotel. First I washed my clothing and then I walked down to the beaches and sketched. The top photo is an image of the floating village off Cat Ba...from my understanding most of the locals live on their boats and only head to town for supplies and to sell their catch.
The island was not that crowded because it is several weeks before all the tourists arrive. It was a little chilly, but I thought the weather was perfect...and so far, this has been one of my favorite experiences of the trip. (So if you are looking to a great vacation I suggest Ha Long Bay.
Today I am heading to the perfume pagodas....should be great.
Miss you all.

2 comments:

Mom L said...

Great photographs and accompanying travel info!! What absolutely beautiful country.
March Madness has hit Tiger country! Mizzou beat Memphis last night to make it to the Elite 8. MF & hubby watched with us and hubby was a good sport & cheered for Tigers. We are right now @ their place getting ready to watch KU (yuck!). We are trying to get good sports about it.
Your Mom and Dad were especially happy that you posted an update - they were ready for one!!

lafa said...

Sqaure--it looks beautiful. My house doesn't smell too bad...but I bet the perfume pagoda smells better. I thought I wanted to do train rides across Asia, but then I saw Darjeeling Limited and read The Great Railway Bazaar; however, your pic makes me think that maybe I do want to do it...must remember your earlier story about the poo.