NAKED AND PROUD
Ok, naked...but not really that proud.
Yesterday Lauren and I visited a traditional Korean bathhouse. This was something that I was not planning on doing, but when the name weeny got thrown out on the table I said, "hell yeah, I will get naked infront of a lot of strangers!"
I would first like to say that I, as I am expecting you are, imagine the bathhouse to be set in a pellucid setting with trees, running water, and maybe a few bird chirps here and there. This vision is completely wrong and must be erased from your mind. The bathhouse I was so lucky to visit was located at a large water park (so think Oceans of Fun--fastfood joints included). The idea of the bathhouse is to soak, scrub and socialize with other naked people. From my understanding you basically soak yourself until your body looks like a prune and then you go and squat on a stool (in front of a mirror) and scrub all the died skin off your body. Since I have never scrubbed like this before, the pounds of skin that rolled off my body was...well, very unappetizing. Lauren, who so thoughtfully scrubbed my back for me, kept on exclaiming, "My God!!! I can't believe how much skin is coming off."
After I was rubbed into a large American raspberry I showered for the fifth time, lotioned up, and head down to the locker room to get dressed. Although the experience may have been slightly traumitizing (including the time I picked the tub that had ice cold water--literally ice cold) I must admit that today my skin does feel pretty amazing.
To end the day Lauren took me to her hair salon (because she said I needed to go...I have no idea why?) Anyway, when I came in the salonist (I am pretty sure that is not a word) started talking very quickly and motioning to my head. In english she said, "we can fix....we can fix" and then Lauren interrupted that in Korean she said very bad....very bad. So for 25 dollars I got a hair treatment, head massage, and the softest hair I have ever had.
Yesterday Lauren and I visited a traditional Korean bathhouse. This was something that I was not planning on doing, but when the name weeny got thrown out on the table I said, "hell yeah, I will get naked infront of a lot of strangers!"
I would first like to say that I, as I am expecting you are, imagine the bathhouse to be set in a pellucid setting with trees, running water, and maybe a few bird chirps here and there. This vision is completely wrong and must be erased from your mind. The bathhouse I was so lucky to visit was located at a large water park (so think Oceans of Fun--fastfood joints included). The idea of the bathhouse is to soak, scrub and socialize with other naked people. From my understanding you basically soak yourself until your body looks like a prune and then you go and squat on a stool (in front of a mirror) and scrub all the died skin off your body. Since I have never scrubbed like this before, the pounds of skin that rolled off my body was...well, very unappetizing. Lauren, who so thoughtfully scrubbed my back for me, kept on exclaiming, "My God!!! I can't believe how much skin is coming off."
After I was rubbed into a large American raspberry I showered for the fifth time, lotioned up, and head down to the locker room to get dressed. Although the experience may have been slightly traumitizing (including the time I picked the tub that had ice cold water--literally ice cold) I must admit that today my skin does feel pretty amazing.
To end the day Lauren took me to her hair salon (because she said I needed to go...I have no idea why?) Anyway, when I came in the salonist (I am pretty sure that is not a word) started talking very quickly and motioning to my head. In english she said, "we can fix....we can fix" and then Lauren interrupted that in Korean she said very bad....very bad. So for 25 dollars I got a hair treatment, head massage, and the softest hair I have ever had.
The last thing we did yesterday was visit a buddist temple and on the side of the road we meet the woman that you see pictured. She was so nice and let me take her photograph.
Miss everyone and hope everyone is well.
5 comments:
Wait--you had all of your skin sloughed off and your hair softened and the picture you post is of some random woman on the side of the road? I mean, she is interesting, but let's focus on what we all really want to see. You w/soft skin and amazing hair.
No kidding, I want to see your new hairdo!
well...i agree with the above posts. and I miss you a lot as well. I'm glad you made it safely to Lauren's, hopefully it is a sign of easy traveling ahead! We got our house plans printed and stamped! Thanks for all your last minute work.
Your post met all my expectations of an Ashbrook girl's pursuits - pretty interesting. Please don't forget to write in your journal!!
Mom L...the blog came directly from the travel journal...so don't you worry.
Post a Comment