I can't tell you how impressed I am with L.B. and her adaptation to Korean culture. Not only is she fluent in Korean, she is raising a daughter who is being exposed to all that there is to offer her.
Yesterday, after we picked up Yoo-Jung at daycare we attended an art class where Yoo-Jung is being exposed to ideas of expression through painting. From my discussions with Lauren and seeing the overwhelming amount of academies for after school classes, it is all too apparent that education is number one here. What I find most interesting is that a creative education is what is pushed. Thier idea is that creative learning pushes the child to think beyond the knowledge that is available to them. The concept seems so simple and obvious that I question why our education system seems to structure itself around standarization. I am sure that it has something to do with Korea's more resent installation of democracy.
Today we visited Bulguksa where we saw a buddhist temple. It is amazing how many people come up to L.B. and Yoo-Jung. They usually want to tell L.B. how beautiful they think Yoo-Jung is--pointing out her high nose and light skin (these are considered to be very attractive). They then become completely shocked when Lauren is able to respond to them in Korean. At each spot that we visit with Yoo-Jung, a fan club seems to form behind us and questions are asked and pictures are taken. I am pretty sure that this baby is going to soon be known as "The Princess of Korea"
Miss you all and send my love.
2 comments:
Claire,
Please tell Lauren that I am impressed with her too! She sounds like a wonderful mother and her daughter is very beautiful!! Sounds like you are having a fabulous time. Thanks so much for posting on the blog so I can vicariously enjoy your trip.
Love
Lou
Bad doggy, BAD!
Post a Comment