Friday, March 13, 2009


ARRIVED IN CHINA

Two days ago I took the ferry from Incheon, South Korea to Qingdao, China. I must admit that I was very worried when I got to the ferry station because out of two hundred people, there were only about twenty woman. I had bought a Royal ticket and so I had a two bed room--which made me concerned that I might share the room with someone(meaning one of the men--and note that they all smoke and they all hack). But luck was with me, because I had the whole room to myself. (I have pictures of the room, but can't upload them right now). I was also very concerned with motion sickness, but I had taken some cold medicine and managed to sleep 12 of the 15 hours.

My first glimpse of China is that it is nothing....nothing like South Korea. South Korea is a completely modernized country. Although you see poverty that is beyond what you would see in America...(mainly in the living conditions). Everyone in Korea (farmer-housewife) has a cell phone, access to medical care and the country, as a whole, is pretty clean (although not that clean). China is much different. To me it almost seems as if there is a haze around the country. Meaning you will see a building or place that appears nice and then you get up close and realize it a pretty dirty and falling apart. You can tell that industrailization/modernization is pretty new to this country.

Also, in Korea it seems like 1 in 2 speak English.....maybe 1 in 15 speak English in China. I have picked up a phrase book and they seem to understand what I want---so hopefully I will be ok. I am sorry for the lack of pictures, but maybe tomorrow I can upload some. I do want to give a shout-out to Lucy and Paul. Please tell Paul that I am thinking about him. Also, Ellen---if you are reading this I want you to know that I went to an Art Gallery yesterday that I know you would have loved. The painting were in the traditional Chinese style (appear simple, but detailed beautifully). The style made me think of you.

Miss everyone and send my love. (just added the picture of the ferry)

No comments: