Wednesday, May 13, 2009

TOKYO: A City that Intimidates



On May 7th I arrived in Tokyo. A city that I had imagine would be filled with bright lights, fast traffic, and people that were so fashion forward that I would look like a country bumpkin visiting the city for the first time. What I found was a place that has all the diversity and ingenuity that one would expect, but warm and inviting...like walking in the front door of your home and smelling fresh baked bread.

My perspectives maybe skewed since I just left China (a country that makes snot rockets seem... not that bad), but this is what I have observed thus far:

1. This city is the cleanest city I have ever been in. I even put it above Perth, Australia because the population is much greater. Also, every public bathroom I have used smells and looks clean.

2. Everyone here must have read Emily Post's book on etiquette because you will never see someone push ahead to get on the train (they always form nice orderly lines), if they accidentally bump you they always apologize, and they never spit/blow their nose in public.

3. Although in certain areas there are bright lights, the noise level is comparable to Chillicothe....meaning there is no noise. Not even in Roppongi which is where all the night clubs are located.

4. The city has made huge steps to open it's doors to foreigners and I would argue that is the easiest to venture out in. The public transportation is amazing and although the city looks massive on a map I have managed to walk just about everywhere.

So if you are looking for a place so take a vacation to and you want it to be exotic, but not that exotic....Tokyo is for you.
While being here I have been able to visit some great buildings (at least they are considered that in the architectural world). I also spent three days with one of Leslie's college friends, which was great because he introduced me to a place called the Cavern Club. Here you can see a Japanese band that dresses and sounds like the Beatles. The commentary is all in Japanese, but the songs are in English.....I had trouble not laughing.

I was also able to spend two nights in a military hotel (he is a doctor in the military). The hotel was at least 4 stars and the food they served there was sooooooooo good. The rest of the time I am here I am sleeping at a traditional Japanese Inn. So that means I am sleeping on the floor.
I was also lucky enough to be here during a Sumo Tournament (there are only three a year and I think this is the only one it Tokyo, but I might be wrong about that). Anyway, as you can see I was able to get seats very close to the action.

The only down fall to Tokyo is that I have had a massive allergic reaction to bug bites here. I have at least 100 bites all over my body and each one is at least the size of a nickel. I went to the doctor today (which cost me what I spent in two weeks in China) and I had to get a steroid shot and a bunch of pills. She said that since Monday (which is when the warm weather came) she has had several patients in for the same reason, but I was by far the worst case. I am just hoping the welts go away before I get on the plane or I will probably be quarantined.

I will be back in the states in two days and I can't wait to see you all.












4 comments:

MF said...

sounds amazing. HH and I should definitely go there some day! It is probably a wonderful refresher after your "adventures" in china/vietnam. We are looking forward to seeing you! Happy travels.

(and you can put the hydrocortisone cream on the bites, it might help make them less itchy)

square said...

I had been using the hydrocortisone for two days, but it was not working and the dr said it was something good to try---but my allergic reaction was just to major for that cream.

lafa said...

Did Manish treat you well? Did the band have t-shirts? Were the cherry blossoms out?

Mom L said...

I love the sumo pictures!

ARE YOU HOME YET??