Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sapa: Where Disney Meets Vietnam






I am currently staying in Sapa, a small village in the mountains of northern Vietnam. I know from my handy history book that it has only been recently that Sapa has found a great wealth in exposing their local tribes/villages to western cameras and western expectations.


As you walk around the village you are surrounded by mountains, terraced rice fields, and locals dressed in brightly colored clothing. It is very easy to get caught-up in the surroundings but being a little sick of the tourist traps that waited around every corner I opted to rent a motor bike and view the countryside on my own...............and it was worth it. I actually loved the bike so much that I am considering buying one back in the states!!!! (mom and dad..I know that you will be thrilled about this idea).

The set-up of Sapa is that there is the town of Sapa and then there are small villages that lay just outside Sapa. The protocol is to arrange a visit to one of the villages with a local from the village. This is easily done because they are wondering around the streets asking you to purchase their products and visit their village. I actually did not realize any of this until today and so yesterday I just drove into the villages looked around left (somehow I managed to miss the ticket booth and the guard). On the motor bike I managed to stumble into a few villages that were not participating in the tourist stuff and notices that they were not dressed in these traditional outfits that the locals were sporting in Sapa, nor did their houses look as traditional is they appeared in the participating villages...........which makes me think that they city of Sapa has created this wonderful themed world for westerns to visit. Whatever the case maybe, I have still enjoyed the cool weather and the mountains.

Tomorrow I walk across the Chinese-Vietnam boarder and take an overnight bus to Kunming.


Image One: In image looking down into the valley that houses the traditional villages

Image Two: One of the villagers in her traditional garb--with baby in tow
Image
Three: Villager watching a drumming performance that was occurring in the town square

No comments: