Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Forest Primeval



Image one: A picture I took at the panda center of a 1 year old panda.

While in Chengdu (which is where the big earthquake occurred last year) I visited the Panda Research Center and got to see large pandas, as well as, baby pandas. It is easy to see way baby pandas have a difficult time surviving the wild. Being born the size of a human hand and not developing eyes for several months, makes their ability to defined themselves--nonexistent.


I had a discussion with one of the research workers and I am not sure if I completely agree with saving an animal through man-made habitats. I had asked if they had released any of the pandas and was told that they had, but had very bad results with the release. That being said it seems that you are saving an animal that can never again live in the wild. I should note that there are still around 1000 in the wild, but their habitat is being compromised with human development. I also understand that there is a circle of life, but are these pandas, that are living behind a fence, really participating in the circle?

After two days in Chengdu I took some advice from a very loving sister and ventured up to Juizhaigou Valley and paid a very hefty sum to enter Juizhaigou Nature Reserve. I am not sure if words can describe the beauty of this place. I think that Longfellows description of the forest primeval would be the best:

"This is the forest primeval. The murmuring pines and the hemlocks, bearded with moss, and in marments green indistinct in the twilight, Stands like Druids of old." (MomJ please let me know if that is correct--since it is your favorite)
....and I must take note that I actually did hike in the Primeval Forest (at least that is the Chinese translation and have pictures to prove it).

You will have to wait for my pictures because I can't locate a computer that will work with my camera, but I must say that I have never seen water so clear and blue (bluer than a miniature golf course water). I think one of the signs in the park described the water best when it said that the fish swim in the sky while birds fly in the water.

The best part of the whole reserve is the bus system. Why you might be asking? Well, all of the Chinese tourist take the buses throughout the park and so that meant that I had the trails all to myself. I actually think I might have only seen three other hikers. The trail is amazing because it goes to all the great spots in the park and follows a river the whole time. I think that if I ever come back to China I might dedicate three weeks to the Jiuzhaigou Valley because of the beauty. Maybe I should talk to B. Preston about planning a bank trip to this area (it is that great!).

Oh, on a funny note. I had to stay at a hotel there because of the lack of a youth hostel close to the reserve. I had been slightly annoyed with the bathroom because nothing seem to work. First the toilet would not flush. I let housecleaning know and they came and did something. Anyway, after that the toilet still did not flush, but the water ran continuously------for three days straight!! Also the sink did not drain and the tub did not drain (and there was no hot water!!!!). On the morning I was leaving I tried to do a handy fix-it job to the toilet, but mistakenly knocked the cap of the water system and water started shooting everywhere. I then tried to turn the water completely off, but could not get the knob to work. At that point I ran and got housekeeping and just played the stupid foreigner act (not sure if it was an act)--but it just proves that I can leave the country and have all these wonderful experiences but I am still the same old square.

Love and miss you all.

Today I am heading to Emei Shan and hiking for several days. I have to stay in monasteries there and so I will not have access to Internet for at least 4 days. I will blog again when I reach Chongqing.












1 comment:

lafa said...

I am so glad the preserve was awesome...I mean, of course it was. Would I ever lead you astray? I think staying in monasteries sounds like fun and you are probably less likely to have bathroom issues. Awesome. Have fun and big hugs!