Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bam Bam

Yesterday was beautiful. So nice and pleasant that husband hunter thought it would be nice to go walk around my uncle's land. So we loaded up the truck and went for an adventure. When we arrived, husband hunter gave me a gun, and he took his shot gun ( to hopefully get some sort of bird), and we set off. Once we left, I was wishing I hadn't taken the gun. It was rather cumbersome while hiking around. Anyways, after tromping through waist high weeds trying to get the pheasants to run around, we decided to rest. I figured I might as well use my gun since I've carried it around for so long. So I shot at a tree...and hit it, woo hoo!
Along the way, a rabbit hopped across our path...and stopped a few feet away. So Scott shot it, and gutted it (gag). Unfortunately, he had the shotgun, which shot the poor rabbit's whole belly and back leg off. I guess we won't be doing that again. It was quite gruesome.
I'll be cooking rabbit tonight! I'll let you all know how that goes.
On our way back, Scott spotted an opossum in a tree. I have a long disgust for opossums ever since one lived under the treeriver girl's front porch. It hissed at me when I tried to visit at night... very scary for a little girl. So I aimed my gun, and shot it. Well, I really just nicked it, b/c it didn't move at all. Husband, the humane hunter, went to finish it off. And despite his wishes, I convinced him to leave it b/c there was no way we were going to eat it. (Sorry Grandma Sk)
So there it is, my first "hunting" experience. I didn't find it very enjoyable. Next time I'm going to just walk around without guns.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to add the part about how your hubby had to remember the possum in prayer because he felt so guilty for "wasting the meat."

lafa said...

I am not sure how to respond to this--there are so many possibilities. First, you killed Thumper and now you are going to eat it? All it did was happen to hop into your path...I am not sure the country air is good for you guys. On the other hand, I have a story involving my parked car and a deer...so I guess the country is not good for me either. :)

Mom L said...

Even Grandma Skelton would not have eaten a opposum. She would have said it was too "greasy".

square said...

Ummm...I thought I was a country girl but there is no way that I would consider doing this!!!