Life in Va. has been pretty busy. After returning from MO and having turned in the drawings for my parents' house, I thought things would start to slow down, but they have not.
Updates on Work
Currently my work at Montpelier has taken an interesting turn and I am getting to deal with some documentation/research on Madison's interest in religious freedoms. Something I unknowingly tied to secularism, but after reading documentation and letters of his it appears that my uneducated assumptions were wrong. The one item that seems most interesting to me was Madison's take on religious freedom for the enslaved communities. My understanding thus far is that Madison believed that providing religious choices was as freeing to slaves as actually releasing them from their bondage.
At Monticello they recently hired four dogs to guard and protect the estates gardens. I discovered this a couple of months ago when I went in early (5:30 a.m.) and was greeted by two of them. This was a somewhat rude awakening (who doesn't like two barking dogs jumping out from the dark abyss), but after a review of the situation they appeared to think I was bringing them a treat. After some inquires I discovered that the duties of the dogs include walking the premise and keeping out invading deer, coyotes, and bears.
If you have visited Monticello you will know that the gardens are a huge visual impact to the grounds and set a poetic scene for the visitors. So it is easy to see why the foundation would go to these measures. Well, last week I went in early and noticed the dogs were sitting very serenely next to the walk waiting to be picked-up (because it was nearing the end of their shift) and directly behind them were 15 deer munching away on all the delicious plants of the garden. I question how much longer these 4 will be around.
As for our lastest adventures....well, recently Lafa participated in a micro burst that came to our neighborhood. I was lucky enough to be out of town, but I think she might have some amazing photos to show you. (Lafa: I do have some photos--when I find the camera cord (missing b/c of our move) I will post).
A few weeks ago I had a brilliant idea (of course brilliant is used loosely) to start saving money on gas and getting some more exercises by biking to work. There were a few things that made my first attempt riding home gruesome. First, my stomach was bothering me all day, second it was 100 degrees out, third it was 29 miles. Ok, Lafa says the last point should be an obvious reason as to why this was a bad idea, but what can I say.....I am terribly stubborn. (Lafa: I also noted that perhaps the second point was an obvious red flag, but what's a heat stroke among friends?)
Well the ride to work was actually really nice. Unfortunately on the ride home things did not go well and 15 miles in I started to feel a black shade being pulled over my vision. I stopped, got off the bike and then lost my lunch. This inspired me to call Lafa, who spent the next 10 minutes reminding me how she had told me this was a dumb idea and then saying, "Well, I guess I will come and get you!" Since that expedition I have reconfigured the logistics and I am currently driving part way, parking in a church parking lot and then riding the rest in. This new configuration seems to be working out perfectly. (Lafa: There was no debate. She called, sounded pathetic and scared and said she needed me to come get her. On the side of the road. In the middle of nowhere. With no cell reception. And it was one lane. I heard banjos. But I persevered.)
Finaly this past week Lafa and I moved to our new apartment. There were a few hostile moments, but we seemed to work everything out. The new place it laid-out much better (aka...she is on one side of the apartment and I am on the other) and has put us closer to the university and downtown. It is also a much better place for hosting guests.......so if you are heading this way--let us know! (Lafa: Right now it is boxes and squalor. Square spent the time unpacking her room, organizing it, putting her new duvet cover on her bed, arranging her closet. I spent time scrubbing the floors and oven in our old place. Unpacking all our dishes and kitchen implements. Finding things like our bills. So, I am sleeping on unmatched flat sheets in room with a lamp on the floor and stacks for goodwill. Makes me feel really homey.)
Hope all is well!
Square (& Lafa)
3 comments:
As usual, I was entertained. Glad you are moved in. Glad you are still speaking to one another. Dad and I are hopeful that you continue to do that.
Love, Mom
Dear A. 'girls' or should I say 'women' (of course the A. stands for your last name not the other bad word it could mean :-)],
Thanks for a very informative and funny post. I loved hearing about what you two are up to. As I read it, I thought Roberto and I need to come visit you two! As you know getting him out of the office is a challenge but then the chance to poke fun at the two of you is pretty tempting. I am currently at zarah's home since MK is out of town. I am keeping the little one today while zarah works. So far it has been EASY duty. She left at 7:30 a.m. and he has slept 2/3 of the time she's been gone. This is what I imagined babysitting to be when I volunteered to keep M & S's baby; so glad it's happening at least with this one. He's a doll and I will try to get zarah to post some new pix soon. Take care and we love you. R & L
Hi lafa and square. sorry i had not responded....i've been neglecting the blog. each new post, of course, reminds me of how much I do need to come see you.
square...maybe hunter hubby could come and "cull" the animals (then make me eat them).
love lots.
-mf
Post a Comment