Monday, December 7, 2009

We are traveling West







Square, Is Arkansas East or West of the Mississippi?
-'R' (My date, a guy who grew-up in D.C.)-


This past weekend Lafa and I posed as extremely polite/charming wedding dates for two of Lafa's old college friends. The wedding was in Hot Springs, Arkansas and we had a flight to Little Rock early Friday morning (7 a.m. in Richmond, Va---which meant we needed to leave C-ville by 4:45). A flight we almost missed when 'R' (the guy I was acting as +1 for) did not show up at the given time. We literally parked our car, walked through security and onto the plane. Not Lafa's ideal start to the morning.

Upon arriving 'R' took Lafa directly to Sonic to apologize for his blockheaded move earlier in the day and then we drove from Little Rock to Hot Springs.

We started our tour of Hot Springs by visiting the Hot Springs National Park Visitors Center, which is located right downtown. I have to say that this is one of the best visitors centers I have been to. Located in one of the old bathhouses--the park has maintained most of the original features of the bathhouse, which everyone agreed was pretty darn cool. From there we checked into our hotel, The Arlington, a prominent hotel downtown that was constructed in 1875 and has seen the likes of some very famous people....including Al Capone. After checking in we went on a hike in Hot Springs National Park.

That evening we dropped Lafa off at the rehearsal dinner (because her date was in the wedding) and then 'R' and I went in search of an authentic BBQ restaurant. To our great luck we just happened to stumble upon a hole in the wall joint that Southern Living, Playboy, and the New York Times have rates as top eats in the US. I (Lafa) went to a rehearsal dinner, which was very nice, but I was jealous. Luckily, R and Square were easily persuaded and took me to McClard's for lunch the next day.

Then 'R' and I headed back to the hotel and tried all the outdoor pools/hot tubs. This might sound crazy (since it is Dec. and was only 26 degrees outside) but every body of water was heated and surprisingly we had the whole place to ourselves.

The next morning Lafa, 'R', and myself took a long car ride where we visited Blakely Mountain and Dam, Ouachita Lake, and also forded creeks, dodged deer, and skipped a few dozen rocks. I have to point out that R has to be one of the coolest guys ever, because during the drive he had no reservations belting out show tunes with Lafa and I. He does an amazing version of Prince Ali and a not too shabby version of Arabian Nights.

That evening we attending the wedding which was held in a church that was copied off of Thorncrown Chapel. I must note that we showed up late to the wedding and so we had to sprint a half mile from the car to the visitors center, upon realizing that we were at the wrong spot we had to sprint back another quarter of a mile to the chapel. This was cool for Lafa, 'R' and R's friend Charlie, but I found the whole thing a little challenging because I was wearing a pair of heals that were two sizes too big (don't ask). At some point during the run I just pulled off my shoes and ran barefoot, which everyone who arrived early to the wedding could see because the chapel is literally walls of glass.

After the wedding we headed to the reception that was held at one of the old bathhouses that has been converted into a gallery. The reception was great and made for a wonderful end to the weekend.

If you have never been to Hot Springs I highly recommended it. I think it would be beautiful in the Fall. Hope all is well and send my love.

Square


1 comment:

Mom L said...

Hey Square,
I loved Hot Springs too when I visited about 6 years ago; glad you had a really fun weekend. I love it that you girls always have a fun story to share and take the time to make my day and share it with the rest of us. You have to check out adorable pictures of 'you know who' on MF's blog :-) I am a totally crazy g-ma and I love it!