I had no idea of what to do with this wheatberry. Thankfully, they supplied us with a yummy bread recipe. Downside... the recipe is for 5 loaves, and it takes forever to make. It wasn't too bad the first time because my mom "helped"...which means that I mixed some things, and kneaded, but she basically did everything else, and I was able to use her nice cuisinart mixer and large kitchen surface. So I've been looking for other items to make with the wheat berry (I now have 5 cups in the fridge). Zarah sent me a recipe yesterday for Wheatberry Pancakes. YUM! What a great way to use the wheat berries and my farm eggs, and make some "healthy" pancakes. I actually only ate one pancake and hubby didn't get any because he was out on the golf couse (I guess he'll be GH "golf hubby" for the summer), so I decided to freeze them for when I want a tasty treat and no time to make it once baby arrives.
If anyone would like some wheat berry to make bread or pancakes, I would be more than willing to share!
1 comment:
Here is a recipe I love!
Wheatberry Salad
3 cups cooked wheatberries (see preparation below)
Juice from 1 orange - about 1/3 cup
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 large Fuji apple, diced
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped (I've also used walnuts but pecans are better)
3 Tbsp raspberry vinegar (I've been using apple cider vinegar)
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1. Prepare wheatberries: Place 1 to 1 & 1/4 cup of hard red wheatberries in large pot, cover with plenty of water, sort through and discard any stones. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Set aside to cool.
2. Squeeze the juice from the orange. Place the cranberries in the orange juice to soak for about 15 minutes.
3. Combine the apples, wheatberries, pecans, and cranberries in a large bowl (save the orange juice for dressing).
4. Whisk the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper into the orange juice. Pour over the salad and toss. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Enjoy!
Post a Comment