Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Daily Catch




Today I sat on the riverbanks of the Tonle Sap River and was surprised because I realized that the water was running a different direction than when I first arrived here. I thought I might be losing it, but then after some research I discovered that during the raining season (which just started) the Mekong River's (which meets the Tonle Sap River at Phnom Penh) channels are insufficient to accommodate the amount of water being added and so the Tonle Sap River reverses its course.....how unbelievable is that!


(Kick-Boxing )

This evening I was able to attend a traditional Cambodian activity..... Kickboxing .... a huge sport here. The actual events are held every Saturday at one of the T.V. stations. I went with three other girls and a tuk-tuk driver that spoke perfect english, which was great because he told us a lot about the sport. One of my favorite things about watching was the live music that is played by a three man band. The music helps to set that rythem of the fight....it also provokes an interesting dance between the boxers that begins with a dramatic tapping of their foot to the beat of the music. I was told that each fighter receives $25 dollars per fight and then the winner will receive a bit more. As you can tell from the above photos the fighters are pretty young. The average age is between 18-21 and the average weight is 50 kg or 110 pounds....so it feels a bit like watching a high school wrestling match, but with betting and more blood.

3 comments:

JBA said...

Glad you got to see this favorite sport. Just came in from the Simpson fireworks display, but watched from the back stoop just off the screened porch this year. The trees are now too tall to see the fireworks from the porch. Couldn't get the wow factor with outout you and L and the neighborhood kids, so called L and let her listen to the booms. The wow factor came back. A tree took out her power lines and fell where she usually parks, but thankfully she was out of town.

Mom L said...

You mentioned that you went to kick boxing with three other girls. Have you made friends already?! All the neighborhood crowd thought of you & L last night at the neighborhood gathering for the 4th.

patrick said...

110 pounds! I've seen you bench 135 pounds at least! You should've jumped in there and shown them who was boss.