Thursday, June 30, 2011




Unlocking the Treasures of CAMBODIA


I have almost been in Cambodia for a week and feel like I have not even touched the tip of this mysteriously hot iceberg. The first couple of days were spent getting to understand Phnom Penh and hitting the tourist spots including the Royal Palace, Wat Phonm (Buddhist Temple), the National Museum, and clambering through the multiple markets that dot the city. I have also spent time photographing and drawing the structures that I am studying, but I did not really get down to work until yesterday. This "work" involves me digging through the National Archives for material that might help me in my research. The archives are crudely organized (you can only imagine that most of their documentation was destroyed during the Cambodian Civil War) and there has been some confusion on what I am looking for, but the director has been very helpful. There are also two other women working there--a PhD student from Berkley and a professor from Wisconsin (I had actually read her book). Hopefully I can pull enough stuff to write a decent paper.


I have stopped at the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek (the location of an extermination camp during the war). It is rather overwhelming to visit and even more disturbing once one realizes that there are still bones sticking out of the ground as one walks through the site. Since I am a bit crunched on time I have added a few highlights of what I have seen below.


A.) I have been waking-up early to beat the heat and the beggers to walk the streets of Phnom Penh. A few days ago a noticed a crowded gathering along the park of Wat Phnom as the police hung a red rope around some trees. I then realized that lying in the grass was a young woman who was undoubtly dead. I found out the next day that it was a suicide where this young women and her boyfriend had taken chemicals because their parents would not let them marry.


B.) Road rules do not seem to be inforced here and so it is not uncommon to see a scooter, tuk-tuk, or car driving the wrongway down a lane.


C.) My hostel is located near an outdoor resturant that has a tv that is always showing viewings of traditional kickboxing matches....it is much like being next to a bar that is showing a good football game....the crowd is always going crazy. I am hoping this Saturday to actually attend one of the matches.


Miss you all and hope all is going back well in the States.


Sqaure


(It rains at least once a day since I have been here, but it is usually greatly received because it brings I nice cool breeze to a city that can have you melting in your seat)


(Boys relaxing on metal siding that is being transported by a scooter)








No comments: