Sunday, November 1, 2009

Appalachian Autumn



This past Thursday ma and pa decided to venture out east to see Lafa and myself and to see the beautiful autumn leaves of the Appalachian mountains. Except for having to sleep on a hardwood floor for four days I would say the visit was a success. :)

We attended a showing of the silent film "Phantom of the Opera" that was accompanied by a local orchestra, hiked some of the Appalachian Trail, drove to the Calfpasture and Maury Rivers and ate at several restaurants that had great food (including our favorite breakfast place--can you say biscuit?).

Remarkably, we survived the visit...and it all seemed pretty mellow. At dinner the first night we talked financial planning and retirement...you know, your boring conversations with concerned parents who want to make sure you have something to live on if anything goes wrong. Square revealed that we shouldn't be concerned about her b/c (and she is serious) she has invested her retirement in commodities. If you could have seen my dad's panic you would have urinated. ....I would just like to point out that out of the four individuals at the table...I was the only one that had recordable earnings for the past several months....SO EAT THAT YOU TIGHT WADS. And I just want to point out that I think pork bellies and July corn are always really smart investments. No, really Square...I mean, pork belly just scream security.

Hmmm...what else. We want to know when you are sending your babies out here to spend time with us. We are fun and we can teach Benjamin and baby Kerner lots of important life lessons.

1 comment:

sarah said...

Ma & Pa's visit sounds like so much fun. I promise, I really will come out to visit as soon as I can. You have to start babies on the Ashbrook wisdom early, you know!